Google Chrome now available on Android - the perfect combo

Posted in Labels: , , ,




I love Google Chrome as a web browser. It's fast, secure, works perfectly with Google products that I use, and has great features and extensions. I also love Chrome OS - starts up fast, works great, has all the features of  the Chrome browser. I also love Android - great UI, great apps, works great with all the Google products I use. 

I kept thinking that the perfect device for me would be Android with the Chrome Browser. The browser in Android is very good, but this would be better. It would combine the best of both worlds. Awesome web experience, with apps and ability to work offline. I could actually replace a laptop or desktop with an Android tablet that has the Chrome browser and an external keyboard. It would also add even more functionality and usefulness to my smartphone.

I also think it would be great for education. All the great web browsing and web apps access with the Chrome browser, along with ability to work offline and access tons of great apps.

And now, it seems like Google is heading towards making that a reality.

Today, Google announced that the Chrome Browser is available for Android (Version 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich only though).It is still in Beta, but looks very good.

      Android Central

The Chrome browser on Android is faster and has tabs and syncs with your Chrome browser on your desktop, bringing your bookmarks with you. You can even view open tabs on your desktop browser in your Android Chrome browser and send pages between the two.

The big feature I'm waiting to hear about is extensions. If Google can have Chrome for Android handle extensions like goo.gl, Evernote and such, it may be the perfect mobile system.

You can read more about it and see a video and some great screen shots at the source links below.

Sources: 


The Official Google Blog: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/introducing-chrome-for-android.html

Android Central http://www.androidcentral.com/google-chrome-beta-now-available-android-40-devices



Related:

Google Chrome Web Browser

Android Smartphone and Apps I use as Educator

On Device Software vs. Web Apps

Google for Educators Resources

Google Chrome OS - great idea for Education

Why I use Google Products as an Educator